Thursday, May 24, 2012

The Oil Incident





4 MORE DAYS TILL I GO KICKSTANDS UP!!!

As I said before, my bike needed an oil change. I began to price the service and decided that since I had changed oil before on other motorcycles, it would be a quick and cheap fix. As with anything with a Harley Davidson label on it...Ummmmm.... NOT!

After asking several experts (ie. my buddies) I decided that I couldn't go wrong by using a synthetic oil. For those of you that don't speak auto parts, that means $11.99 a quart!....and I need 5 quarts! Add in a filter and my standard DIY oil change just hit $70! LOL But if your gonna do it...do it right!....right?



I then began to ask around and checking different websites for advise. Here is one that was informative Here If you heard the words "easy as 1,2,3"....it is, but in my defense it was my first Harley oil change.


So on a cool Tuesday morning I gathered my tools and started wrenching....



I also changed the Primary which was WAY easier than changing the oil.


 so, some quick advice for the prospective do it yourself-ers:

1- Get yourself a good motorcycle jack-stand. Not only is it easier to reach the plugs, filter and screws, you look like you know what your doing when people drive by (Thanks Rick!)
2- Definately take the time to warm up your engine, it's a long slow molasses-like wait if you dont.
3- Make a pot of coffee, grab a beer, get a novel to read like "War and Peace" cause its a long wait!
4- Did I say how long it takes this oil to freekin' drain??!

According to my buddy Rick, the reason is due to the baffles that help cool the oil. I personally think its Harley's way of saying "Pay for a certified mechanic  next time you cheapskate!".



After everything was done, I took my bike out for a quick spin and leak inspection...passed with flying colors.

No comments:

Post a Comment