Sunday, June 3, 2012

Wrong turn at Albuquerque

I woke up early and said my goodbyes to John and Britta and headed out to Tampa via Carrabella.

As soon as I headed back east on I-10 I saw an exit for Gulf Breeze and decided what the heck. 15 miles into that decision I ran into a toll plaza. Normally that no big deal....but this plaza had no atm and the nearest one was at the gas station at the interstate exit! Lucky for me Tracy the Hawaiian shirt toll lady accepted a check for $3.75! Don't spend it all in one place DOT! LOL

I headed east on US 98 and saw the most amazing beaches! In Destin I thought I had arrived at a carribean town! The water was crystal clear! I pulled over and sat back and ate some freshly picked blueberries and frozen grapes that Britta packed.

I then lazily made my way along the coast until I hit Carrabelle. Which is famous for having the worlds smallest police station. So of course I'm gonna go check it out! Here's the website for it-
http://mycarrabelle.com/index.aspx?NID=62

After checking out the worlds smallest police station I headed south on US 98 and hoped to see a road that would run east to the interstate since it was getting late. A little sidenote, I had forgotten to charge my cellphone and after jamming to my mp3, the batteries began to die. So I was winging it.

After riding for another scenic 2 hour along the gulf coast I saw a sign that said east US 27 to Gainesville. So of course I took it. After another hour of riding through a state forest, I saw a sign that said south US 41 to Tampa....so I took that. Another mind numbing ride through a boring stayed forest I saw another sign that said east US 26 to Ocala. Which I took and it turned into a road that said US 27/41 ...grrr! A nice little 4 hour detour! Oh well, its not like I have a schedule to keep!

Got into Tampa at around 9pm exhausted and sore.... 11 hours on the road! Moms house was a welcome site! A hot shower and a good nights rest!




No comments:

Post a Comment